Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Beef Curry

Indian curry meets Thai curry.  This is what I get driven to when I have to work out of my kitchen with whatever is available.

Given that I don't like supermarket shopping and most people like myself don't drive in Singapore we generally rely on the mini-marts established within the condos we live in.

Of course it is Chinese New Year and my local mini-mart closed for 5 days so again I go fishing in my freezer, fridge and pantry to see what I can pull together.

On a whim during my last online meat order (and these wholesalers I get the stuff from are tops and cheaper than the supermarket) I ordered stir-fry beef that came in very handy tonight.  On another whim during my last mini-mart trip I bought an Indian Chicken Curry paste not knowing how I was really going to use it.  Between these two ingredients and the coconut milk that is always in my pantry, I could see a curry coming on.  What I didn't anticipate was the outcome of a combination of two separate recipes and a very laissez-faire attitude.  My own creation was born which between my hubby, brother and I demolished the entire dish.

So make it if you want and you be the judge of it.  Let me know what you think if you like, just don't be too harsh on me.  I'm just playing in the kitchen.

Ingredients (Serves 4)

400g beef stir fry
1 red onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic, peeled and chopped
4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
1 packet Asian Gourmet Indian Curry Chicken paste
1 can coconut milk
1 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons oil
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
0.25 cup fresh coriander, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon raw sugar
1 teaspoon concentrated lime juice
2 tablespoon tomato paste
Plain yoghurt as a side dish
Pocket pita bread or roti prata to serve

Method

On medium-low heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.  Add the onion, garlic, spring onions, fresh coriander, ground cumin, ground coriander and curry paste and stir fry for a couple of minutes.

Add the beef and potatoes and stir fry for 3 minutes.  Stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and peas then bring to boil. 

Reduce heat, stir in the tomato paste, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Toast 4 slices of the pocket pita bread then cut them into wedges and serve in a bowl.  Use the bread to dip into the curry.  Alternatively prepare some roti prata according to packet instructions unless you know how to make them from scratch.

Serve the curry with a couple of dollops of yoghurt.  According to my family it was delicious.




No comments:

Post a Comment