Friday, February 1, 2013

Country Vegetable Soup

This is one of those stalwart recipes that isn't part of a fad because 25 years after I first made it, it is still as wonderfully tasty and comforting.  I wouldn't usually do anything different since the ingredients are simple and easily accessible but for that elusive turnip which is difficult to obtain in Singapore.  I use celery instead.

I thought I was being clever when I bought something marked as "fresh vegetable" in my local mini-mart that might have looked like turnip but in a different shape when to my surprise after peeling it and tasting  it I realise it's another version of the red radish.  Firstly, it was white not red and secondly it was in the shape of a very fat carrot not a sphere.  Not that I mind since it'll come in handy for a crudites and dips session.  A pleasant accident given that I can't find red radishes. So this will do just fine.

Anyway back to the soup.  Double the quantities and  freeze a few serves for the those times when you don't feel like cooking or just realise you have nothing useful in the cupboard or kitchen.  It freezes very well for up to three months.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
1 large turnip, peeled and diced or 2 sticks celery, trimmed and chopped
2 leeks, sliced
2 potatoes, peeled and diced
3 garlic, crushed and finely chopped
1 litre stock
1 can of crushed tomatoes
0.5 cup soup pasta
1 bay leaf (optional)
0.5 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
0.25 cup frozen peas
0.25 cup frozen corn
0.25 cup frozen sliced green beans
4 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped

Method

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the carrot, turnip or celery, leeks, potatoes and garlic.  Sweat on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.  If you find the vegies catching on the base of the pot add some water and continue sweating.

Add the remainder of the ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegies are cooked.  If the soup is too thick add more stock to thin it out.

Serve with crusty bread or croutons.

Bon appetit.


No comments:

Post a Comment